Do you ever feel so overwhelmed that you want to run away or like the weight of the world is on your shoulders? Do you ever feel like it's always too much going on, so much to do but not enough time or resources?
We all know that it's not healthy to walk around feeling that way, yet we become complacent with just coping. This only solves the problem temporarily. Let me share with you some permanent solutions that can help overcome feeling overwhelmed.
1. Let go of the past. Easier said than done, right? No one has control over what happened 10 years ago, last month, last week or even yesterday. We can only focus on the future. Getting stuck in the past holds you back from living in the now. Each day is a new opportunity to try again.
2. You are allowed to say No! This can be a difficult one to swallow. Some of us are torn because of the innate desire to nurture everyone. You have to take charge of this behavior because this can make you feel weighed down. Before saying yes to something, ask yourself if it's something you can do with a full heart. To save yourself you can no longer worry about how the other person will react to your response. Some may call it being selfish but it's all about setting boundaries. Be honest with yourself about what you can handle and not what anyone else may expect from you.
3. Create a to-do list. Daily discipline and prioritization are very important to help you manage your days, weeks, etc. Plan out your days/weeks, everything from food shopping, dinner, meal planning, important phone calls, business stuff, the kid's activities and appointments. Sometimes you might fall off track. Try not to get discouraged when you don't complete everything on the list. Remember, tomorrow is a new day. 😃
4. Commit to doing at least one thing for yourself each day. We all need time to ourselves. You might be able to catch a moment when the kids are asleep or in school, the spouse is not home or sleep, or that tiny moment when you are sitting on the toilet, but you really need more than that. Whether it's a glass of wine (maybe a couple), favorite television show, reading a book, taking a walk or going to the gym, be dedicated to making time for yourself. You deserve it!
5. Make time for God. This is so important!! Find a time of day that offers you a clear mind and an opportunity to focus. Consider keeping a journal to help you connect with God. Write down your prayers, thoughts, and notes from scriptures that you read. This is your time to really be honest with God and pour your heart out to Him. Thank Him and trust that He can handle whatever it is you are dealing with.
6. Affirmations. "I am" is a powerful statement. Negative thoughts create negative behaviors. Stay positive by creating some personal affirmations. This can help calm your nerves and increase confidence. "I am in charge of how I feel today and I chose not to let anyone or anything get the best of me."
Let's keep it real, this is not going to be an overnight process. Whenever you find yourself feeling overwhelmed stop whatever you are working on, take a deep breath, you might even shed a few tears. Then reevaluate the situation and grasp what's important and what isn’t.
I hope these solutions can help you overcome feeling overwhelmed. Feel free to share.